So much to SEA in AlmaFI

We arrived to Naples around 9:30 that evening. After being on a train for five hours, we were more than happy to get up and walk around a bit. It was late so almost everything was closed, we walked up to the online ticket service and realized there were no trains or buses to where we needed to get to until early the next morning. We were both hungry and had to use the bathroom so we went to the only cafe open while we were trying to figure out what to do, bought food and took turns watching luggage so the other could use the bathroom. We finished eating and starting walking around trying to figure out what we were going to do, while we were downstairs a random man came up to us and said he was a taxi service and could drive us. We followed him but I had a sketch feeling about him. We walked up to a random van, no taxi sign on it and he introduced his father to us, telling us we would be okay to go with them and they’d only charge 50€. Absolutely not. I grabbed Tamara and we kept walking towards the real taxi stand. To be honest, I’m not even sure how we missed it. That’s where we met Luigi, the greatest taxi cab driver in all of Napoli, Almalfi and Southern Italy. I was exhausted but Luigi took us into one of the best pizzerias in the area, we watched them make it in a real stove, the owner took us upstairs so we could get a view of the city and mountains while we waited. We had just eaten so we told them we’d save it for when we got to our Airbnb in Agerola. Luigi loves old school rap music, especially the west coast rap. He told us he wanted to go to Compton and we told him he didn’t. I got such a good vibe from him, he gave me his business card and I took his number. We got to the Airbnb and I was so tired I just went to bed.

The next morning, I woke up around 10am. Tamara was still sleeping, but I realized I hadn’t actually eaten any of the pizza from the night before. I went to the kitchen, looked for a microwave but all we had was an oven. I looked for something to actually put the pizza on in the oven and couldn’t find anything so I just said fuck it, I ate it cold and it was delicious. While I waited for Tamara to wake up, I texted Luigi and he started making his way to Agerola to hang out with us. I woke Tamara up around 11, we got ready and we tried to rent a scooter but quickly realized we couldn’t drive it. Luigi arrived on his motorcycle and we explained to him why we couldn’t get the scooter. He helped us figure out the bus schedule so he could meet us in Almafi. There was a guy who offered to take us to the next town, he said more buses come through that way so we agreed. He drove us and Luigi followed behind on his motorcycle. When we got there, we realized we were even farther from Almafi and the same bus comes through that town. We had about an hour and some change to spare but luckily, the square had wifi. I did some work for Crops & Cleans, while Tamara and Luigi talked. We also got some gelato from one of the gelato places in the town. When the bus finally arrived around 2:45 that afternoon, we hopped on and Luigi met us at the place where all the buses pick up and drop off in Almafi. He showed us the beach, it was kind of small to be honest. There wasn’t a ton of room to lay out so we found a small spot near the front of the beach. I got in first for a few minutes, then went to where our stuff was to tan while Tamara went to the water talked with a few people around us. Luigi arrived and changed into his swim suit then went into the water with Tamara. I saw a girl trying to take photos who didn’t know what to do, I started shouting cues at her. “Pretend to laugh” and “turn to the side,” little things like that. When Tamara and Luigi got out of the water, I went back in to swim a little bit and then tried taking photos. Luigi has a gopro so we took photos with that before he left to go to work. We met three college kids from California who were going to eat so we asked if they’d like to eat with us. We found a restaurant inside the town of Almafi near the square, the kids were nice but not my cup of tea. After parting ways with that crew, Tamara and I decided to go boutiqing in the town. That’s when our friend Marco texted Tamara and said they were on the way to Almafi. I told her they should just cancel their Airbnb, stay with us and go on the tour through the coast with Luigi the following day. They agreed and got a bus to Agerola. Getting our bus ticket back was a mission. People kept telling us to get our tickets on the left hand side but didn’t say where. Finally, a guy showed us after walking into a random museum that was closing. Bus tickets are bought at the tobacco stores, similar to a convenience store in the USA. After getting our bus tickets, we sat at a restaurant in front of the pick up and drop off area and ordered two glasses of wine. The bus ride up the mountain was aggressive. There are so many sharp turns and the bus was going relatively fast for literally driving on the edge of the mountain. We had to change buses and were a little confused so two younger boys going to Agerola with us showed us the way. Once we got back to the square in Agerola, we took the boys numbers and agreed to meet with them once Marco and Mariel arrived.

They arrived shortly after we got back to the apartment, I was in the shower when they got there but greeted them when I walked out. I finally had shampoo and conditioner so I was stoked to finally wash my hair thoroughly. The four of us sat around and talked for a couple of minutes before leaving to meet the two boys we’d met on the bus. They told us there’s no where to really “party” in Agerola on Friday nights, they do that on Saturdays. So they walked into a local bar/coffee shop and bought two bottles of wine and some beer, along with plastic cups.

We walked to a nearby playground where we sat around with a group of locals. The language barrier was a little hard but we had a good time. One of the Italian boys was trying to teach me to say adamant, i pronounce it differently. Marco and I, both graduates of Florida State, started teaching them to do the chop. Randomly we started having exercise competitions and one guy had a tattoo of Rhianna on his thigh which was uh-maze-ing. After sitting around at the playground for a couple of hours, we walked down to a local pub and ordered food and beer. I got the “Florida” burger because I’m from Florida, it was basically a burger with French fries but was so good. We called it quits around 1:30 that morning because the bars were closing and we had an early day the following day. The four of us walked home, got ready for bed, Marco may or may not have watched the Karaoke Boys on YouTube, and we knocked out.

Luigi arrived at 9:15 and had an entire day planned for us. We started a little late because we were trying to get everything together but after Tamara dropped the key off, we were on our way. On the way from Agerola to Positano, there’s a spot on the mountain that has one of the most breathtaking views of the coast. That was our first stop, we stopped there and took some photos before heading to Positano. We were all a little hungry so we stopped at two places for food but we had bad luck at both. Eventually, we just decided to wait till lunch to eat a meal and got some snacks to hold us over.

In the town of Furore, there’s a hidden gem called Fiordo Di Furore and it’s been on my bucket list since I saw a photo on Instagram. That was our second stop. The only way to get to this gem is by parking your car on the street and walking down the steps or by boat. It was a good walk down stairs to get to the bottom but the view was beautiful. In front of you, you see the arch way of the bridge leading to Furore and the turquoise sea. Behind you is sand, rocks, and sea boats. There was a group of people playing cards in the sand and a couple inside the sea swimming. I quickly walked up to the water, it felt amazing. Not too hot nor too cold. If we had more time in Almafi, I would have loved to stay longer and relax for a few hours there.

Next on our day trip was Positano. Luigi parked the car in the taxi parking, perks to having a taxi cab, and we walked down the mountain. We agreed to meet Luigi back at the car in an hour and a half. Positano was beautiful, there were a ton of shops we kept walking in and out of. We got down to the beach area and it was way bigger than Almafi, a lot more space for sure. We took photos of the colorful houses that sat alongside the mountain and the turquoise sea. Personally, if I were to go back I’d stay in Positano because it seemed more lively there and more to do. We walked to a little yogurt shop to get water, nearby was a handmade jewelry stand. I bought my brother, my boyfriend and I all bracelets made with (or so they say) the lava from the volcano. Tamara and Mariel went off to shop some more while Marco and I waited in the yogurt shop. It was hot outside and that yogurt shop had air conditioning. We talked about our entrepreneurship goals, my clothing company and his cell phone application he’s creating. Once the girls made our way back to us, we kept the conversation going about business. It was refreshing to talk to someone in the same position as me business wise.

We met up with Luigi, he was wearing my black hat to be funny so I took a few pictures of him. We piled into the taxi and headed to a restaurant on the side of the mountain.

The restaurant was called Ristorante Da Costantino Positano. We paid about 26€ each for unlimited drinks and a four course meal to split. It included appetizers, four types of pasta, dessert and a shot of limoncello at the end, not to mention the impeccable view. After lunch, we got into the car and stopped at one more good photo spot before heading to Sorrento.

All four of us knocked out on the way to Sorrento. The huge meal we had combined with being in the sun all day left us having the itis. The itis is when you get tired after a big meal essentially. Anyways, we had about an hour and fifteen minutes in Sorrento.

Our first stop was gelato, it was a revolving gelato wheel and I couldn’t say no. We then walked towards the beach where we saw signs of “the best photo spot in Sorrento” so we walked towards that. It was at the top of a church and it was actually a photo gallery. It was 2.5€, I quickly paid but the rest were a little unsure if they should. I told them I hadn’t walked up those stairs for no reason so I paid and walked to the back where there was a swing. I started swinging on the swing, it was attached to a tree, and called the others in. We hung out there for about fifteen minutes taking turns on the swing and taking photos, then walked down to the beach area. I walked down and put my feet in the water but quickly walked back. I didn’t see any showers and the sand was kind of gross so I didn’t want to get my feet too sandy. The walk back up was a freaking journey. Imagine walking up a hill with uneven pavement, that’s essentially what we did. I was definitely out of breathe at the top of the hill for sure. After catching our breathe, we walked back to where Luigi was.

He took us to another spot across the street, an abandoned old mill deeply covered in vegetation. The mill was used to produce flour but was abandoned in 1866, now it’s just a tourist attraction. After taking some more photos, we piled back into the car and headed to Pompeii.

Pompeii was once a thriving Roman city before being destroyed by Mount Vesuvius in 79AD. I’m not a history guru but I’d been looking forward to this for awhile. We arrived after 1800 (6PM) only to find out they were closed and no longer selling tickets. We walked into a gate and noticed we could climb in but the stones weren’t very steady. I was pretty bummed we wouldn’t be able to see the actual city until I looked and saw a sign that said “Do Not Enter.” There was a space though, big enough for a human…. I walked in, Marco followed, the girls stayed behind. We walked in through the exit to find a museum, it was nice but I wasn’t satisfied. I saw an entrance but a man was staring at me funny, I looked at Marco and we walked outside. We saw more of the Pompeii ruins from whatever observation deck we were on. I started to come to terms with the fact I’d probably not get to see the actual city when we saw another gate. “Do Not Enter.” Welp, we’d gotten this far. We walked in and kept walking, I looked at Marco and said, “I think we made it!” WE HAD MADE IT IN.

We walked in and out of the old buildings, making our way to what would have been the city centre when we saw Tamara and Mariel walking in from another place that was not the entrance. We walked up and scared them. All four of us had managed to sneak into the city of Pompeii, I’m talking FREE NINETY NINE BABY! I’d classify this as one of my prouder moments. After walking around the city for about twenty minutes, we decided to head back. Tamara and Mariel walked out the way they came while Marco and I left through the exit. When we finally met up with the group, we told Luigi about our adventures as we got back into the car. He started playing some of his rap music and singing along to it as he drove.

All four of us stayed in Naples together that night. Tamara and I had a flight to Paris the next morning from Naples. Naples kind of reminded me of a cleaner New York City, with a castle and by the sea. We were all hungry so Luigi told us about this Bufala festival, a festival with different Italian food, desserts, and live music. We walked pretty far to get there from where we were staying but it was so cool once we got there. Marco and I got the “family style” tickets where all of us could pick out one entree and so on to split between the group. We ordered parmigiana di melanzone, buffalo burgers, and pizza topped with cheese and fish. We set our tickets down and accidentally lost the rest and it started to rain so we called it a night and started to walk back. The walk back there were a ton of kids just hanging out. It reminded me of when all of us kids used to hang out at City Walk for fun when we were younger. We got more gelato (still not extremely fat) and then met up with Luigi who took us back to our flat. We said our final goodbye to Luigi and took one last selfie before heading upstairs, he really is the greatest cab driver of all time.

There was no wifi in our flat and I was pretty tired so I knocked out as soon as I got there. I have a talent of being able to fall asleep anywhere at anytime. While I slept, Tamara sorted our Paris Airbnb and did her homework.

We woke up the next morning to meet Luigi’s taxi driver friend downstairs. He took Marco and Mariel to the train station before taking us to the airport. We checked in and got some food before going through security. We flew Euro Wings, I’ll be giving a full review of them in my Paris blog. As we waited at the gate, I’m not too sure either of us wanted to leave Italy. We’d had such a great time in Cinque Terre, Venice, and the Almafi Coast. All of our new friends were made in Italy, the Italians are really friendly and the country is beautiful. We’re grateful we had the opportunity to see three of the most beautiful parts of Italy and I can’t wait to tell you about our time in Paris. Until my next post, inshalla.

Leave a Reply